Domestic Builders

House being built

The Building Act 1993 dictates that people engaging in building work (where more than one trade is involved), with clients – for work valued $10,000 or more – need to become registered builders and the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 states that if a builder enters into a contract over $16,000, home warranty insurance must be obtained.

Whilst many people flout the above laws – and have done for many years, consumers are becoming much more aware of the requirement to engage a registered builder. Thus, aspiring builders are flocking to Certificate IV in Building and Construction courses all over the country, only to find out that the real work to registration starts after the Certificate arrives.

Preparing the Application for Registration is a “complicated and thorough process”, requiring substantial attention to detail. The capacity to fill out forms and provide information is essential so Victorian Building Authority’s Board assessors will look at your application in a positive manner.

Ange Teaching

For registration and building permit purposes, domestic builders can only engage in Class 1 and Class 10 construction, as per the National Construction Code.

The major advantages of becoming a domestically registered builder is that, depending on the registration category you obtain, you can acquire the appropriate insurances and build unrestricted, without fear of prosecution and open up your capacity to earn serious income.

Building above $10,000 without registration often ends up with prosecution in the Magistrates Court. A conviction can make your life difficult – don’t take the risk.

At Builder Registration we find that most builders want to become Domestic Builder Unlimited. However, in order to become DB-U you need to demonstrate extensive building experience within the domestic market. If your experience is limited you may find it is initially best to apply for a limited category and build further experience to upgrade to DB-U down the track.

So what are the categories that you can apply for to become a domestically registered builder?

  • Domestic Builder (Unlimited)
  • Project Manager (Domestic)
  • Construction of Non-habitable Building Structures
  • Construction of Gates and Fences
  • Construction of Retaining Walls
  • Construction of Swimming Pools and Spas
  • Construction of Private Bushfire Shelters
  • Construction of Shade Structures
  • Structural Landscaping
  • Bathroom, Kitchen or Laundry Renovation
  • Earthworks and Excavation
  • Footings and Slabs
  • Carpentry
  • Framing
  • Bricklaying and Blocklaying
  • External Wall Cladding
  • Roof Tiling
  • Waterproofing
  • Door and Window Replacement/Installation
  • Site Works Involved in Relocating a Dwelling
  • Restumping and Re‑blocking
  • Cabinet Making, Joinery and Stair Construction
  • Sheet Plastering
  • Solid Plastering and Rendering
  • Floor Finishing and Covering
  • Glazing
  • Insulation
  • Painting and Decorating
  • Tiling (Floor and Wall)
  • Attaching Fixtures
  • Erection of Poles, Masts and Antennas

For example to obtain your DB-U registration you need to show significant experience of your ability to build / manage the building of an entire house.

Contact us to Get Registered, or just
ask us any questions you might have.


We’ve been helping trades and business professionals attain their Builder’s Licence in Victoria and apply for Builder Registration for over 9 years. With our proven systems, and training support, it’s our business to help you prepare for the assessments and know your stuff. Use our training and guidance to conquer the challenge and get registered now.

Builder Reg Logo

Follow Us:

© 2022 Builder Registration Pty Ltd.